Golfers across the Georges River region are now enjoying the comfort and amenities available at the new $2.2 million Hurstville Golf Clubhouse after the facilities were recently unveiled at its bushland setting in Sydney’s south.
“The benefits are a more comfortable and modern setting to enjoy and relax in after a round,” course manager and BlueFit Leisure director of golf, Stewart Hardiman told Club Management. “There has been a tremendous response from the members, they are really pleased with the facilities now.”
The course had previously been serviced by a small pro shop with limited facilities for more than half a century, but following the funding, the clubhouse has been thoroughly modernised.
The majority of funding came from a NSW Government Stronger Community Grant, with a $400,000 contribution from Georges River Council. The new two-storey clubhouse has a 150sqm function room on level 1 that can accommodate 120 people, complemented by a large 40sqm balcony that offers views across the golf course. In addition, there are modernised change rooms, new amenities, a meeting room, storage space and offices.
Downstairs, the revamped pro shop features charging facilities for 25 motorised golf carts, plus a cafe and licenced bar. Other features include an undercover barbeque area for social events that can be used after hitting a few balls on the new practice green.
In addition to the new clubhouse, Hurstville Golf Club has also renovated the 1st, 9th 10th and 18th holes with more to come.
“There are further upgrades included in our 10-year plan to renovate some of the older greens,” Hardiman added.
Potential new members have been travelling from across the St George region to try out the upgraded course and new clubhouse, said Hardiman, who hopes to increase membership by 10 per cent, reaching 1000 members by the end of the year.
Hurstville Golf Course opened as a nine-hole facility in the 1960s with the course extended to 15 holes in the 1970s. It became a full 18-hole course in 1987.